Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Disney Villains Stamps




The United States Postal Service just came out with these Disney Villains postal stamps.
Pretty cool to find among them a couple of characters I helped create. These images were inked and painted on cels at Disney, based on the original clean up drawings from the films.





When I see a pose like this one it takes me right back to when I animated the scene.
"Crazy old Maurice..hmm" , Gaston says here. I recall acting the scene out in front of the mirror in my office. As Gaston (Richard White) says the line I moved into camera placing my left hand on my chin. I tried to play it subtle, so it would look like Gaston is getting an idea about what he is going to do with Belle's father.




On this cel the eye direction was changed. In the movie Scar is looking back at Simba, who has just asked :"Uncle Scar, will I like the surprise?"  "Simba, it's to die for!" Great dialogue writing, and great delivery from Jeremy Irons.



9 comments:

  1. Andreas! I just finished reading your book, it was awesome! If youbwoukdnt mind answering one question, what pencilis closest to what the 9 old men uses to use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. These stamps are gorgeous! The villains are usually the characters with the most personality to me. Scar is my favorite Disney villain by far

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great lineup, too bad Jafar wasn't included, he's my favorite villain of all time. If you have more archived stuff on him, I would love to see it in future posts, thanks!
    I did see the recent re-release of The Lion King at AMC theatres. I was really impressed by the picture quality and sound, especially how Jeremy Irons' voice resonated throughout the theatre. Great performance!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andreas, did you have news of Tyrus Wong in 2011, I will like if you post more artworks of Tyrus Wong i like his paintings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andreas you when you are at the studio working on Bambi 2 who find the idea for making the movie you went in Australia at the Disney Toon Studios in 2005.

      Delete
  5. Hi Andreas. When you say the original drawings were inked and painted based on the original drawings... do you mean for these stamps, or for the films back in their day?
    These stamps look like digital ink and paint to me... but I could be wrong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, you are looking at hand inked and hand painted cels. I have seen the originals.

      Delete
    2. Oh, that's so cool!!! They must have some special scanner to digitize the images afterwards. Thanks for the reply!

      Delete
  6. My favourite villain is the coach driver in Pinocchio. He is rally bad, his face is demoniac and... He wasn't defeated! He is still converting boys into donkeys!!!

    ReplyDelete